Friday, May 2, 2014

New Tires!!!!

I picked up my beautiful vintage bicycle from the local bike shop today after dropping her off yesterday to have new tires put on! Doesn't she look snazzy?



Zooey (I named my bike after Zooey Deschanel ;p) is a gorgeous Columbia Sterling that I got at a thrift store near Malvern, Ohio. The owner of the thrift store told me that this bike used to be his, even though it is a "girls" bicycle, at least according to the fact that it has a step-through frame which in the olden days would accommodate skirts and dresses.

The bike shop owner informed me that Zooey is from either the '60s or '70s and that depending on condition, can be worth anywhere from $700-$1,400. Apparently, I struck gold because I only paid 20 bucks for this beauty! And to think that the thrift store owner's mother was just going to throw her away...

Overall, I invested less than $100 into this bike.
Here's the breakdown:

Bicycle & basket: $20
Seat: $20
New tires & labor: $36
Bell: $3
Light: $2
Zip ties (for the basket): $2

TOTAL = $83.00
(Not too bad for a genuine vintage bicycle!)


Looking to get a vintage bike???

Here are some tips:

  • Check out local thrift stores, especially ones that are small and don't have a lot of room for large items. Stores like this want to keep floor room available for highly desirable items that can bring in quite the profit, like furniture and large electronics.

  • Don't forget about garage/yard/moving sales. These people are usually pretty desperate to get rid of their unwanted items. Be sure to go in the last hour of the last day of the sale. Sure, you risk losing your potential purchase to another buyer, but if the coveted item is still there, the seller will be extremely desperate to get rid of unsold items.

  • Customize, customize, customize! When I bought my bike, the thrift store owner had put on a $20 modern-looking seat to try to make a quick sale. The seat didn't really match the style of the bike so I asked the store owner if I could get the bike without the seat. Not only was $20 for the bike (as opposed to $40 with the new seat) more affordable for me, but I was then able to find a seat that more closely matched the bike. When customizing your bike with accessories, go to local bike shops first before checking out the chain retailers. These specialty stores often offer a much greater selection than chain stores and the prices are usually pretty competitive.

  • To get the bike home in one piece, if you purchase the bike out of town somewhere or if it is not in the condition to ride home, be sure you have a reliable method of transporting the bike BEFORE you buy it. I almost made this mistake as I eventually shoved my bike into my boyfriend's car, after of course severely scratching the inside of his new car as well as breaking one of the reflectors off of my bike...

  • If buying the bike online, don't be afraid to ask the seller questions or ask to see additional photos of the bicycle. Also, take into account any shipping costs and policies. Sometimes the seller requires that you pick up the bike in person so make sure it's a doable drive. NEVER buy from a seller with a bad reputation or someone who isn't willing to help you.

  • And of course, never be afraid to negotiate!


Cleaning Your Vintage Bike

Now, Zooey wasn't that shiny when I first got her. It took a lot of work from my wonderful boyfriend to remove all the rust to get my bicycle to look almost new. 

Tools Used:

  • Wire Wheel Brush - The handlebars were covered in extremely deep-set rust and required the use of a wire wheel brush on a drill to remove the rust.
    • Get a 6 piece set for $3.99 HERE!


  • Aluminum Foil - Believe it or not, aluminum foil works great in gently removing rust from objects. We used this method on the foot pedals and the wheel rims. Simply form a piece of it into a ball and scrub away!




No comments:

Post a Comment