Thursday, May 22, 2014

Retro Play of the Week: "You Belong to Me" by The Duprees

Getting sappy this week with the retro play... What can I say? I'm a romantic!





Now, this song was not actually written by The Duprees... They're just one of many musical artists who covered the song. According to Wikipedia, the song has been credited to three writers: Pee Wee King, Chilton Price, and Redd Stewart.

"Price, a songwriting librarian at WAVE Radio Louisville, had written the song in its virtual entirety as "Hurry Home to Me" envisioning the song as an American woman's plea to a sweetheart serving overseas in World War II."
                                                                                      -- From Wikipedia

Awwww, how precious! 


Here is a list of the most famous covers of "You Belong to Me":

  • Sue Thompson (1952)
  • Patti Page (1952) - Peaked at No. 4 on the U.S. Billboard charts
  • Jo Stafford (1952) - According to Wikipedia, this is the most popular version of the song, reaching No. 1 on the UK charts. Not really my cup of tea though...
  • Dean Martin (1952) - Peaked at No. 12 on the U.S. Billboard charts
  • Patsy Cline
  • Bing Crosby - This one puts me to sleep...
  • Bob Dylan (1992) - Umm... NO.
  • Jason Wade (2001) - I LOVE JASON WADE. His voice sounds like brown sugar and honey. For those of you who don't know, he's the lead singer, main songwriter, and guitarist of the American alternative rock band Lifehouse, which I also love!
  • Tori Amos (2003) - Not my most favorite version, but I had to put it on here because it's part of the soundtrack for one of my favorite movies of all time, Mona Lisa Smile, a film about questioning traditional social roles featuring the ever so lovely Julia Roberts .



Less famous versions:




Which version is your favorite? Let me know!





No comments:

Post a Comment