Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Vintage Sneakers

For those who know me, you know I'm a Keds girl all the way. No Converse. No Vans. Just Keds. They're super comfortable and of course, adorable! Keds has been around since 1916 and with such a classic look, they've never gone out of style!


Here's a pair of beautiful teal Keds from the 1960s being sold on Etsy for $48.

My grandma actually had sneakers quite similar to these that she handed-down to me, but alas, my feet are too big. Knowing this, I've been looking for something similar for quite some time now. 


However, Keds today can be rather expensive... Just your basic Keds (Champion Originals) will cost you $45 I'm afraid.


Example of the modern-day classic Ked.
Taken from www.keds.com.

But... there's good news! I just got this pair of adorable retro-style white sneakers at Walmart for $5.97. That's right! Just $5.97!!! Can you believe it?! Compared with the similar sneakers shown above, I think I got a pretty good bargain.





Just to compare the two brands...

  • Both don't have arch support so if you have high arches like myself, either way, you're going to need an insert if you plan on wearing the shoes for an extended period of time.
  • The basic Keds come in five colors (Red, Navy, Stone, Black and White); the Walmart brand comes in three colors, at least that's what was available in the store where I bought them (Pink, Denim, and White). At Walmart.com, however, it seems you can only get pink.
  • The Keds come in half sizes, with sizes ranging from 4 to 13. The Walmart brand only comes in whole sizes, ranging from size 6 through 11. Both are available in wide width.
  • I can't speak much on quality because I just got the shoes so I don't know how durable they are. I can tell you that with regular wear, the pair of Keds I do own lasts about a year (I have bought roughly the same design of Keds every year and they each prove to last about a year).


My advice??? If you're looking for a quality shoe in a specific size and have expendable income, go with the Keds. If you're just looking for some cheap retro-style sneakers to capture the vintage look, go with the ones from Walmart. 



No comments:

Post a Comment